It's free to go by bus

It's free to go by bus...

Let’s face it there aren’t many benefits to getting older, so we must celebrate the little wins that come our way.

Here at morebus, we are urging all those who are of state pension age to claim their free concessionary bus pass, renew one that has expired, or dust the cobwebs off the one that's been sat in the kitchen draw and get back to enjoying life by bus.

With fuel prices still so high to run our homes and cars, there’s never been a better time to make the most of a free bus pass.

The past few years have been very difficult for many people in community, and we know many have refrained from travelling on public transport because they have followed advice from the government during the pandemic.

Now we are seeing growing numbers on-board with us again, and there are certainly many wonderful places to explore across our beautiful region. And, for some, travelling by bus is about more than getting from A to B, it’s about connecting with others.

Seeing and speaking with people can play a vital role in combating loneliness, and we’re pleased we can help with that. We’re urging anyone who has become eligible for concessionary travel – ie those who are of state pension age- and hasn’t yet claimed their pass, to do so and open up a whole new world of travel opportunities.

See what regular bus users June and Colin think for their free passes!

In England you qualify for a free bus pass when you reach state pension age. Find out here if you qualify.

This pass allows free off-peak travel on local buses everywhere in England. Off-peak hours are from 9:30am until 11pm Monday to Friday and all day at weekends and bank holidays.

If you find yourself entertaining your grandchildren at weekends or in the school holidays, you may find it useful that up to 2 children under 7 can travel for free with you.

Before you apply you for a pass you will need:

  • to set up an online bus pass account  
  • proof of your permanent residency in the area (Council Tax bill, rental agreement, utility bill)
  • proof of your date of birth (birth certificate, passport, driving licence)
  • your National Insurance Number
  • a recent passport style/size colour photo: digital or scanned photo.

To apply, you will need to do so via the local authority who you pay your council tax to.

For BCP  (Bournemouth, Christchurch and Poole) residents apply here

For Dorset residents apply here

For Wiltshire residents apply here 

For Hampshire residents apply here